Tuesday, April 22, 2008

2-Heptanone

Hi,
In ochem lab, we had a bunch of unknowns to identify and I identified 2 of them (out of 3 thus far), but then the third one threw me for a loop cause the H NMR sucked. The integration units were totally off and I didn't know what to do. So I talked to the teacher- she's awesome by the way- I love her and I wish I had her for ochem I- and she told me that my H NMR was junk and that I probably had a methyl ketone. So, I looked and looked and looked, and compared the C NMR, which said that I had 7 different carbons, and the only one that sorta made sense was 2-heptanone, but what irks me is that it only had 5 peaks, when there was 6 types of protons. Anyways, I confirmed it with the teacher again and she said it was probably correct. I think that the signals from two adjacent types of protons were combining to give one weird signal. Interesting. Very interesting.

No comments: